Dear Stammtisch Friends
I would like to invite you to our next Stammtisch, which will take place on Monday, 23 April at The Broad Chare in Newcastle. It would be great if you could come along and welcome nine Germans who will visit the region from Brandenburg. The Broad Chare is obviously a great venue for the best British food has to offer and they kindly agreed to have a German food option for our Stammtisch group. We will meet at 6.30pm in the bar, with dinner from 7pm onwards. The Broad Chare also has an excellent selection of local and German beers. I need to know who will come along so that we can reserve enough tables in the restaurant – so quick email would be great.
Thanks again to everybody for their food recommendations:
- Toby discovered that the Lidl in Consett also has an in-store bakery and make there a fine Graubrot, which is apparently fresh and very delicious.
- Here in Tynemouth, the Deli Around the Corner, now stock Doughwork’s Russian rye bread every Friday and Saturday.
- Since October 2011, Edinburgh has its very own German restaurant – the Frankfurter Eck, which is run by Joseph and Kristian. I’ll be popping up there soon to try out, but if anybody has been, let us know. On a Sunday, the Frankfurter Eck have a Bavarian Sunday, with all the traditional dishes you’d expect.
- And a German butcher/chef called Stefan Kölsch works at Donald Russel in Aberdeen, that deliver the finest meat – check out their online catalogue for further information.
German speakers are also in demand and we received a few job advertisements in the last few weeks:
- The German Consulate General in Edinburgh is looking for a new team member for legal and consular matters in the passport and visa section. Click here for further details.
- BBA Reman, which is based in Rochester is looking for a country manager based in Hamburg. Click here for the full job specification.
- Recruitment firm Elliott Browne in Newcastle is also looking for German speaking staff. They’re a leading supplier of Microsoft Dynamic and Microsoft Sharepoint professionals.
I’ve also had two emails recently regarding Au Pairs. Christine Goodwin, who runs the Northumbria School of English in Whitley Bay, has joined forces with Fiona Stöber, a Newcastle born teacher that now lives in Germany, to offer an au pair programme for German au pairs and British families. The scheme will run during a 5-week period in July and August. For further information contact Christine on 0191 2525265 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Click here for full article on the North Tyneside Business Forum website.
Another Stammtisch member is also looking for an au-pair position for a 25-year old German here in the UK. Does anybody in our group have any experience or recommendations that I can pass on? She’s looking for a family with children that she can care for. Thanks!
The German Consulate General in Edinburgh is responsible not only for Scotland, but also German nationals based here in the North East of England. They’ve recently started a Facebook page which gives you an update on what’s happening in their region and Germany.
Some more dates that may be of interest to you:
The University of Newcastle is holding some German research talks on the following topics:
3 May Elizabeth Andersen (SML) Brigitta of Sweden and the Printing Houses of Lübeck
10 May Debbie Pinfold (Bristol) Conceptions of Childhood in the Literature of the GDR
The joint concert of the Northern English Singers and Gelsenkirchen’s Madrigalchor on Saturday, 9 June at 7.30pm at St James’ United Reform Church, Northumberland Road in Newcastle.
Newcastle City Council are currently organising two events as part of the ‘Newcastles of the World’ – these will be attended by 17 people from Neuburg-an-der-Donau. First there is a river boat tour on 24 July (tickets £25/head), which includes welcome drink, buffet and music. Two days later, on Thursday, 26 July a dinner will be held to launch the new ‘International Newcastle’ initiative. They expect around 300 people for dinner and an evening of music, with tickets costing £45 or tables £450. We’re thinking of joining at least one of the events with the Stammtisch and I just wanted to have some feedback from you what you think. Thank you!
Anyway, that’s all from me for today. I would like to wish you all a very Happy Easter and look forward to a catch up on 23 April.